Name:
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Her Shadow Part II

Waking long before the sun, I reach for her, though the faint scent of her hair still lingers, she is not there. I look toward the door, and see her standing there, with the nightlight behind her, She runs her finger's through her hair, but in the shadow of the darkness, It's still sticking out everywhere. Getting dressed in the dark and checking on the kids, I hear movement around the house, little signs as to where she is. Putting on my boot's at the door, I feel her behind me, I turn and reach toward her face, fingers touch so gently, with a tender kiss goodbye, and a promise to come in for lunch today, I walk across the silent barnyard. Stopping to check the cattle, I realize again, that even though together we are, and for many years have been. That this morning once again, all I got to see of her was her shadow. As I start the morning chores on auto pilot, I think about all the times I have seen her shadow. Her shadow, waking me in the dark, to tell me it was time when Laura was born. Her shadow, outlined by the moon as we drove home after visiting her family. Her shadow, standing by the window as we worked out a problem, outlined by the new morning sun. Her shadow, as we danced in the moonlight on our honeymoon. Her shadow, as I saw her for the first time. Her shadow, just out of reach all those years I wandered, trying it out on my own. Her shadow, in my mind as I thought through my life. Yes, it is her shadow, that even after all these years, I see beside me, this shadow who knows, all of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home